France Under Lockdown: What To Expect If It Happens Here
As cities around the world follow protocols that helped China mitigate the spread of COVID19, one of the most effective methods has been to implement a nation wide lockdown. The possibility of a Canada-wide shutdown is already in discussion so we should expect to have similar restrictions in our movements as we are seeing from reports coming out of Europe.
As France follows Italy and Spain in enforcing a mandatory lockdown in the face of the worsening coronavirus epidemic, the instructions from the government are simple: stay at home. Limited movement while respecting the containment rules is, however, possible. RFI breaks down the do’s and don’ts.
For 15 days, from Tuesday March 16th midday, all people circulating on France’s streets will have to justify, upon request, their “essential” reason for leaving their homes via this sworn statement, downloadable from the Interior Ministry website (those without a printer may hand write their statement on loose paper).
A force of 100,000 police officers have been deployed to enforce the lockdown. Gathering with family or friends, picnicking in public spaces or engaging in group sports are strictly banned.
Those without a valid reason for being outside will be subject a fine of between 38 and 135 euros. Over 4000 fines have already been issued to date.
Public transport will continue to circulate at a reduced frequency.
Tolerated reasons for venturing outside include:
- Shopping for food and other “basic necessities”: Supermarkets, bakeries and pharmacies will remain open. Customers in “authorised local shops” will be required to respect a minimum distance between themselves and others.
- Seeking medical treatment: People suffering severe symptoms are permitted to travel to see a health professional. Those with mild symptoms are asked to contact their doctor, but asked not to call the Samu paramedics, nor present at emergency rooms, which will already be saturated with cases of people suffering high fever and difficulty breathing.
- Going to work: While “télétravail” or working from home is a golden rule, exceptions are allowed for those whose professional activities are essential and cannot be carried out remotely. Employees going to their place of work may be required to present, during checks, their professional card or a certificate from their employer justifying the trip. In companies where tele-working is impossible, the employer must put in place barrier measures, such as a minimum distance of one meter between employees.
- Helping a love one: Visits or meals with family and friends, even in small numbers, are prohibited — but exceptions can be made for “compelling family reasons” or helping a dependent or needy relative. Separated parents are allowed to pick up and drop off their children, though trips should be brief and close to home.
- Helping a neighbour: The French are being told to love thy neighbour, but at a safe distance, with President Emmanuel Macron encouraging the invention of a “new solidarity between generations”.
- Getting some exercise: Physical activity is included on the list of necessary journeys, providing it’s done solo. While parks across France are closed, residents are permitted to go for a run by themselves or engage in exercises on pavements so long as it’s brief and is done at a safe distance from others. Groups sports are banned.
- Taking the kids out: This is recognised as essential for the wellbeing of children, but it must be done near the home and families must not mingle with other families.
- Walking the dog: Pet-owners are allowed to take their dogs for a walk in their immediate neighbourhood, provided they keep a safe distance from others.
— kalysté (@kalyste34) March 17, 2020
- Calling a tradesperson: Urgent interventions by plumbers and electricians are permitted in the event of a domestic water leak or electrical fault, but not for works of convenience such as renovations or home improvements. Tradespeople will be required to present a certificate to travel.
- Returning home: French residents currently on vacation are allowed to return to their homes. Within the next two days people may also travel to a second residence in the countryside if they intend to stay there for the period of lockdown
- Crossing borders: France’s borders have been closed to the rest of Europe and the Schengen zone, with the entry of all foreign nationals (or third-country nationals without residency permits) prohibited. “Essential” cross-border travel will, however, be allowed for citizens, including UK nationals, who have valid reasons.
Get $15 Off On Your First Order
Join the Birch + Fog Insiders Program and you'll receive a coupon for $15 Off your first order!
And be included in exclusive giveways, freebies, vip sales, and other goodies only you will know about.
Real People Share Their CBD Experiences
Our CBD Best-Sellers
New!Sale!Add to cart
DeLush Whipped Soap Scrub$ 39.95 Add to cart
New!Add to cart
Kootenay Labs CBD Sacred Bath Salts$ 22.00 Add to cart
Rosé Organic Lavender Hand Sanitizer$ 6.99 – $ 19.99 Select options
Add to cart
HighOnLove® Dry Body Oil$ 55.00 Add to cart
Add to cart
Me First Unclouded CBD Headache Relief Roller$ 35.95 Add to cart
Sale!Add to cart
Me First CBD Pain Stick$ 45.99 Add to cart
Sale!Add to cart
Me First CBD Bath Soak$ 24.99 Add to cart
Nectar Botanicals Healing Salve$ 29.99 – $ 43.99 Select options
Rosé Men Face and Beard Oil$ 23.40 – $ 46.80 Select options
Sale!Add to cart
BC Trees Organic Pain Salve$ 69.99 Add to cart
Sea B Dee CBD Infused Bath Bombs – 3 Pack$ 38.75 Read more
Herb Angels Topical Cream$ 34.00 – $ 114.00 Select options
What Should I Expect When Using A CBD Bath Bomb? It felt so soothing to hold in my hands and then after I tossed it into the water, it was like a gentle wave of relaxation from head to toe washed over me – relax! April 10, 2021Hi everyone, I'm here to talk about the...
Does CBD Help With Public Speaking? Whether you are someone who has had experience with this or not, it is impossible not to be weary of the feeling that you're going to fall flat on your face in front of an audience. April 8, 2021Public speaking and public events can...
A Monthly Strategy For Reducing Period Pains. Blog 4 of 4 | The B+ F Period Program April 6, 2021Is CBD an effective natural remedy for period cramps? For a long minute we have been dialoguing, exploring natural remedies to help ease the suffering many of us endure...